Skip links

What to study in Australia to get residency?


One of the benefits of EMSA being an Education and Migration Agency is that we have a team of specialists in both Education and Migration. This allows us to give our clients the best advice from the beginning in all areas. This includes everything from choosing the right course to study all the way through to the options this will provide upon graduation.

As a migration agents, we like taking a holistic approach and given that immigration rules can change, one of the most important this to consider when choosing what to study is………

studying something that you are passionate about!

Immigration rules and regulations can change and having seen clients advised to study courses not related to their interests solely for residency purposes, can result in both wasted time and money.

At EMSA, we pride ourselves on helping find a course that is both closely aligned to where you are in your career or studies and provides you with options to stay in Australia either through post study work visas, skilled migration or even employer sponsorship if that’s your goal. Being a migration agency, we know what courses meet the requirements for what skills and can even help chose the right subjects to meet a certain occupation.

Some examples:

When studying IT, there are a range of occupations and some qualify for skilled migration and some don’t. Whether you qualify for an occupation or not can come down to the subjects that you choose as part of your course. When assessing skilled occupations, the Australian Computing Society rules have just changed in January 2014 and under the current rules, if you are relying on Australian studies, you need to have a major in computing that is closely related to your skilled occupation (i.e. Computer and Network Systems Engineer) and then gain a graduate visa (post study work or graduate skilled) and then gain one year experience or do the professional year in order to get a full skills assessment and meet the requirements to apply to submit an expression of interest and apply for permanent residency.

Similarly, if you’re looking at a trade occupation (Chef, Mechanic, Carpenter etc), then you need to complete a Certificate III / IV in your trade occupation, gaining 6 months worth of experience during your course. You can then apply for a provisional skills assessment and with this, apply for the graduate skilled visa and during your time on this visa (it lasts for 18 months), gain 1 year full time experience in your occupation, complete the job ready program and then get a full skills assessment and meet the requirements to apply to submit an expression of interest and apply for permanent residency.

This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to course options and potential pathways. When it comes to study, EMSA offers a free service to help you enrol and apply for your visas with the support of registered migration agents for the best advice and to give you the best chance of success in the process.

Contact us today for more info or simply leave a comment:

1300 362 377


  1. Post comment

    I am glad to understand about your educational quality,
    so, I would like to know how can I get your scholarship Because I appreciate you?

  2. Post comment

    Hai…I am paulson doing my masters in engineering managment.i had 6.5 years of experience in oil and gas industry with 3 years in saudi arabia and rest in india.let me its possible for me to apply for pr now or still I need to wait for my studiez to complete. I am married and ielts score is overall 6.5 individual 6. Hope you would reply me back.

    1. Post comment

      Hi Paulson

      It seems that you have a good profile to get a PR to Australia.

      Where are you living right now?

  3. Post comment

    Hi my name is Agnes Kisita I came from the Solomon islands I’ve been graduate with a diploma in business studies majoring in administration & management from the Solomon islands national university and currently i’m working for the ministry of public service in the Solomons as an admin assistant and customer service for five years and would like to study abroad in Australia in the field of tourism & hospitality management how can I go about it would it be possible for me.

    Agnes kisita

    1. Post comment

      Thank you for your enquiry. We’d be happy to assist you with your current situation and help to plan your pathway forward.

      As Australia’s immigration program is very complex and there may be a number of possible ways for you to apply for residency, please complete the assessment form via the link below. The information you provide will help our Migration Team identify your visa options and possible pathways

      To make sure we have all the information, you must complete the following sections:

      Personal Particulars
      Marital Status
      Current Residential address
      Citizenship Details
      Passport Details
      Addresses (including your home country address)
      Education Details (all school, college and uni information here and overseas)
      Employment details
      Australian Visa Applications
      Once you’ve completed the relevant sections, click “submit” in the bottom left hand corner, once we have received it our Migration team will:

      Assess your case and provide you with some free written advice
      Arrange an appointment and confirm if you are eligible for a free initial consultation or if it will carry a fee.
      Please let us know if you have any questions and we look forward to assisting you!

      Warm regards,

      The EMSA Team


Comments are closed.

Return to top of page