Skip links

State Sponsorship program explained by a migration agent


Haven’t got enough points to apply for permanent residence through the Skilled Independent subclass 189 visa?

Interested in living and working in a particular state to be sponsored through the Skilled Nominated subclass 190 visa program?

You may need to consider additional requirements for each state as it relates to employment.

In addition to meeting the specific visa requirements with the Department of Immigration, when applying for 190 State Sponsorship each state has particular criteria in order to meet their sponsorship requirements.

Most participating States and Territories require you to provide evidence of work experience and/or have a job offer in Australia to be eligible to apply.

The Queensland State government requires applicants to demonstrate at least two years of full time work experience (in Australia or overseas) in your nominated skilled occupation. Depending on the occupation additional work experience criteria may apply. If you are residing in another state and applying for sponsorship with Queensland you are also required to demonstrate that you have accepted a legitimate offer of employment in Queensland. The offer of employment must be in your nominated occupation or a closely related occupation, be at least for one year and a minimum of 35 hours per week.

The government of South Australia requires applicants to demonstrate at least one year of skilled work experience in the last three years. Again certain occupations have a higher work experience requirement. In some cases you may be required to provide evidence of work experience within South Australia.

In Victoria work experience requirements apply to particular occupations and range from two to five years of experience. Applicants are also required to provide evidence of a current job offer in the relevant occupation if you are currently living in another State or Territory.

If you are considering sponsorship with Western Australia you will be required to demonstrate at least one year of work experience within Australia or three years of work experience overseas within the last ten years in your nominated or closely related occupation. Again in some circumstances you may be required to obtain a job offer.

So if you are considering applying for permanent residence through the subclass 190 Skilled Nominated visa program it is a good idea to explore the relevant work experience criteria for the particular state or territory you are interested in. Also explore job vacancies in your relevant occupation as you may require a legitimate job offer to apply.

If you would like more information on the work experience criteria for state sponsorship please contact EMSA for assistance.


  1. Post comment

    Perfectly explained…But how much work experience is required for New south wales sponsorship?

  2. Post comment

    Your detailed information regarding experience required for different States, helped me, because I am planning to acquire a Skilled Visa for Perth. I am Bachelor of Technology in Electronics & Instrumentation and will have 3 years in March, 2016. So can you help me to get more information about the process and cost to obtain this skilled PR for Perth; because I have to do my Master Degree from ECU, Jundaloop, Perth, WA.

  3. Post comment

    Hi EMSA Team,

    Thanks for the detailed information given by you. It was really helpful. I Have a question regarding 190 State sponsorship. I am working as software engineer (261313) and have a experience of 8 months. I have 55 points and need 5 points from State sponsorship for meet required 60 points. Is 8 months of work ex enough for claiming state sponsorship points?

    Please help I am in dire need of help..

  4. Post comment

    Hello..I am trying to apply for South Australia State Sponsorsip..I have positive skill assessment but I am confused about the 1 year work experience out of last 3. Do I need to have that work experience in Australia or overseas experience will also account.I am applying for Quality assurance manager with 5.3 years of work experience as per Vetassess

    1. Post comment

      Shannon Semenikow

      Thank you for your enquiry. We’d be happy to assist you with your current situation and help to plan your pathway forward.

      As Australia’s immigration program is very complex and there may be a number of possible ways for you to apply for residency, please complete the assessment form via the link below. The information you provide will help our Migration Team identify your visa options and possible pathways

      To make sure we have all the information, you must complete the following sections:

      Personal Particulars
      Marital Status
      Current Residential address
      Citizenship Details
      Passport Details
      Addresses (including your home country address)
      Education Details (all school, college and uni information here and overseas)
      Employment details
      Australian Visa Applications
      Once you’ve completed the relevant sections, click “submit” in the bottom left hand corner, once we have received it our Migration team will:

      Assess your case and provide you with some free written advice
      Arrange an appointment and confirm if you are eligible for a free initial consultation or if it will carry a fee.
      Please let us know if you have any questions and we look forward to assisting you!

      Warm regards,

      The EMSA Team


Join the Discussion

Return to top of page