Post study work visas

Finishing your university study in australia? Let us help you get a visa to get you working full time!

Working post study in Australia

One of the best things about studying in Australia

over other countries around the world, besides our great education providers and beautiful country, is that upon graduation from 2 years studying certain university degrees, you can get a visa to work full-time for 2 to 4 years!

Student in post study work visa
  • Australia’s post study work visa was introduced in 2013 and since then has allowed thousands of international students to gain valuable experience in their field after graduation. Some of these have even been able to go on and gain residency through skilled migration or employer sponsorship.
  • After spending thousands and thousands of dollars on studying in Australia, it’s extremely important to make sure that you get the entire process) applying to the post study work visa. Just filling in the form is not enough and there are a range of criteria that need to be met in order to be approved.

To achieve success, getting the right advice is crucial!

Visa legislation is tricky and confusing. Something as simple as lodging a police clearance after the application is lodge can result in a refusal, even if the police clearance is clear and attached before a decision is made.

Our agents will undertake the entire application process on your behalf, from determining your eligibility to making the application, and following-up. All done for a small, affordable fee giving you peace of mind.

How the post study visa works?


There are 43 universities in Australia (40 Australian universities, two international universities, and one private specialty university – source www.studyinaustralia.gov.au) and providing you meet the requirements below, you could be on your way after graduation to working in Australia.

The first and most important requirement when applying for the post study work visa is that you have completed at least two years of eligible study (92 weeks registered on CRICOS). This rule can be tricky to understand and has changed in interpretation over time.

Eligible study for the post study work visa means a degree at the appropriate level.
These are:



Masters by research


Unfortunately Graduate Certificates or Graduate Diplomas don’t count but may if they are incorporated or embedded into further study towards a Masters degree.

Your are only entitled to the post study work visa if your first student visa was applied for after the 5th of November 2011

Length of post study work visa

The length of your post study work visa is related to the type of university coursethat you complete.

The higher the qualification, the longer the post study work visa you are entitled to.

If you have completed 2 years (CRICOS 92 weeks+) of study towards the following degrees, you are entitled to the following post study work visas:

Bachelor degree or Masters degree (coursework) = 2 year post study work visa

Masters degree by research = 3 year post study work visa

PHD = 4 year post study work visa

Other requirements

You also need to meet a range of other requirements in order to be granted the post study work visa. These include:





Less than
50 years old

& more

Given every visa is focused on set law and after spending $40,000+ on study, it’s extremely important to make sure you get everything done correctly. If you have a visa refused, you face a bar and cannot lodge other visas in Australia.

If any of these things are not covered adequately, it could result in refusal!

  • It is important to make sure that all of these requirements are clearly covered in the application and EMSA’s migration team can assist in ensuring the application has the best chance of success.
  • We can assess the eligibility of your institution, provide advice, assist through the application process and increase the chances of being granted the visa.
International students pointing tips

Get advice on a post study work visa in Australia

For free advice, contact our friendly team of education and migration experts today. We can help with common questions and issues.