English language skills
|Skilled employment in the last 10 years – outside Australia|
|Number of years||Points|
|Less than 3 years||0|
|Skilled employment in the last 10 years – in Australia|
|Number of years||Points|
|Less than 1 year||0|
Your employment must have been in your nominated skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation.
You can only claim skilled employment if:
- in the 10 years before you are invited to apply you completed at least 20 hours of paid work per week (this may be adjusted for shift or fly-in-fly-out workers) in your nominated occupation and/or a closely related occupation. Closely-related occupations must be:
- in the same ANZSCO Unit Group or
- consistent with a career advancement pathway or
- determined by an assessing authority that it is closely related to your nominated occupation.
- either the authority undertaking your skills assessment states in the assessment that your employment is skilled or your employment experience meets the standards for skilled employment set by your assessing authority on their website.
Assessing authorities are listed against occupations in the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations.
|A Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution or a Doctorate from another educational institution that is of a recognised standard.||20|
|A Bachelor degree from an Australian educational institution or a Bachelor qualification, from another educational institution that is of a recognised standard.||15|
|A diploma or trade qualification completed in Australia||10|
|An award or qualification the relevant assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation recognises .||10|
For points based migration you will receive points for your highest qualification only. You must have successfully completed the qualification.
The authority undertaking your skills assessment may determine if your qualifications are comparable to the relevant Australian qualification. Assessing authorities are listed against your occupation in the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations.
For a specific opinion about the comparative educational level of your overseas qualifications against the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF), contact Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services.
You are not able to claim points for a doctorate – that is Doctor of Philosophy, PhD – unless you have successfully completed this type of qualification.
Australian study requirement
|Australian study requirement||Points|
|At least 1 degree, diploma or trade qualification from an Australian educational institution that meets the Australian study requirement||5|
Specialist education qualification
|Specialist education qualification||Points|
|A Masters degree by research or a Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution that included at least 2 academic years to in a relevant field.||5|
The postgraduate degree by research (doctorate or masters) must be awarded from an Australian education institution after at least two academic years of study in the following science, technology, engineering, mathematics or specified information and communication technology (ICT) fields:
- Biological Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Natural and Physical Sciences
- Other Natural and Physical Sciences
- Physics and Astronomy
- Computer Science
- Information Systems
- Information Technology
- Other Information Technology
- Aerospace Engineering and Technology
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Technology
- Engineering and Related Technologies
- Geomatics Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering and Technology
- Maritime Engineering and Technology
- Mechanical and Industrial Engineering and Technology
- Other Engineering and Related Technologies
- Process and Resources Engineering.