Skip links

The 485 Visa is for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution. If you’re wondering what to do after studying in Australia, this visa can provide a pathway to permanent residency.

What does a Post Study or Graduate Work Visa allow me to do?

You can travel, work and study in Australia for a certain period of. Your children may also be eligible for free public school education (this varies from State to State).

485 Visa: Two streams

The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) has two streams available.

Graduate Work Stream

18 month visa

For students graduating with skills that relate to the Skilled Occupation List.

Diploma or higher required

Post Study Work Stream

2-4 years depending on qualification

For students graduating with an Australian higher education degree in any field

Bachelor, Masters or Doctorate level study required

Am I eligible?

Our friendly consultants can tell you for sure, but you need to meet these criteria:

  • You successfully applied for your first student visa on or after 5 November, 2011 (Post Study Work Visa only).
  • You completed the relevant education requirement (92 weeks of study) at an Australian institution OR have skills and qualifications on the Skilled Occupation List.
  • You’re younger than 50.
  • You’re in Australia and hold an eligible visa.
  • You meet the English language

Get started: Migration Assessment Form

For free advice on your eligibility for Post Study Work Visa, fill in our:

Migration Assessment Form

You’ll receive a free, written report about your visa options within 24 hours.

Return to top of page