English requirements lowered for 457 visas
Great news for Temporary Work skilled visa (subclass 457) applicants!
IELTS overall 5 – nothing lower than 4.5
Temporary Work skilled visa applicants can now relax while studying for their English test. The Department of Immigration has lowered its English requirements for the 457 visa. Applicants need to score equivalent to an overall of 5 with no band less than 4.5 in IELTS.
There are other alternative tests to the IELTS to be eligible for this visa such as TOEFL IBT, PTE, CAE. For more information on these tests click here.
English scores for 457:
- IELTS – International English Language Testing System: overall average score of 5, with a minimum score of at least 4.5 in each band
- OET – Occupational English Test: A “B pass” is required for all 4 components of the OET;
- TOEFL iBT: total band score of 36, with at least 3 in Listening and Reading and at least 12 in Speaking and Writing;
- PTE Pearson Test of English (Academic): Average band score of 36, with a minimum of 30 in each band; or
- CAE Cambridge English: Advanced: Average band score of 154, with a minimum of 147 in each band.
Tests are valid for 3 years.
But wait! There is more good news!
Employer sponsors are now approved as a Standard business sponsor for a period of 5 years and for newly established businesses for a period of 18 months.
For more information on this visa and its requirements do not hesitate to contact an EMSA migration agent. We will provide adequate advice and will guide you through each step of this visa.
For a free migration assessment, complete our online assessment form.