General Skilled Migration - Working in Australia | EMSA Australia

General skilled migration

Australia skilled migration

If your skills are in demand in Australia, you may be eligible to apply for a skilled visa. It’s a points-based system, with several visa types on offer.

The first question to ask is – are your skills currently in demand?

Check out our Skilled Occupation List 2019/20

Here’s how the Australia skilled migration visa application process works:

Skills Assessment

Skills Assessment

Are you eligible? That’s what the skills assessment aims to find out. We’ll guide you through the process to give you the best chance of success. Whether you’re in Australia or overseas, your skills will be assessed by the most relevant assessing authority. They’ll look at your qualifications, documentation and possibly your work experience, and

Expression of Interest

Expression of Interest (EOI)

This is where you lodge your interest in General Skilled Migration with the Department of Immigration. It’s an online form that covers your qualifications, experience, skills, English language ability and other areas. If you’re successful, you’ll be invited to apply for a skilled visa. When you work with EMSA, we provide you with an estimation of your chances of success to help you decide whether to proceed with an EOI. We also help you lodge the form in the best way possible.



Success! If your EOI is approved, you’ll receive an invitation to apply for a skilled visa. EMSA can help with this process too. Note that there is an age requirement for these visas – when the government sends a letter of invitation, you must not yet have turned 45 years of age.

Here are the different types of visas:

189 Visa

This permanent, points-tested visa lets you live and work in Australia. It’s for workers who aren’t sponsored by an employer or family member, or nominated by the government.

190 Visa

This permanent visa lets you live and work in Australia. You must meet a certain points requirement (based on age, English ability, specific work experience, spouse skills and other bonus categories) and be nominated by a government agency.

489 Visa

This visa lets you live, work and study in specified regional areas of Australia for up to four years. You need to be nominated by a government agency, or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area.