Living in Australia
Australia, the land Down Under. If you’re thinking about migrating to Australia, you probably have a million questions. What’s living in Australia like? Where should I live? What do I need to know? We’ve helped more than 1,000 migrants make Australia home and get settled in. Here are a few tips about life in Australia to get you started:
- It’s beachy. Australia’s coastline stretches almost 50,000 kilometres and is linked by over 10,000 beaches, more than any other country in the world. More than 85 per cent of Australians live within 50 kilometres of the coast, making it an integral part of our laid-back lifestyle.
- It’s made up of migrants. Since 1945, more than 7.5 million people from across the world have come to Australia to live. Today, more than 20 per cent of Australians are born overseas and more than 40 per cent are of mixed cultural origin. In our homes, we speak 226 languages – after English, the most popular are Italian, Greek, Cantonese and Arabic.
- It’s the best country in the world to live, according to the OECD (2014), based on nine wellbeing measures.
- It’s got space. Australia might be the sixth-largest country in the world and the world’s largest island, but we’ve got space to spare. The UK has 248.25 persons per 1 km2, while Australia has only 2.66 persons per 1 km2.
- The seasons are Southern Hemisphere. When it’s winter north of the equator, it’s summer Down Under. Seasons are:
Spring – September, October, November
Summer – December, January, February
Autumn (Fall) – March, April, May
Winter – June, July, August
More information about living in Australia
Read on to find out more…
- Figuring out where to live in Australia? Read about different places around the country
- Need a place to live? Find out where to start looking for student accommodation
- Need to earn $? Find out about working in Australia
- Want to read fun facts? Discover what you don’t know in our interesting Australian facts
- Want to get started with public transport research? Read our travel and transport in Australia
- Want to find out about the Australian economy? Read our general info article